The Trump Administration announced Wednesday a new $200 billion program to modernize the U.S. nuclear arsenal and help make it more secure.
The announcement is expected to draw the ire of President Donald Trump, who has called nuclear weapons “a terrible, horrible weapon,” and has repeatedly called for the United States to withdraw from the global nuclear agreement with the United Kingdom, which Trump has said would be better for the world.
Trump is expected in New York to unveil the new program on Thursday, where he will likely face a bipartisan coalition of lawmakers who have raised concerns about nuclear proliferation.
The program’s first phase includes upgrading the existing U.N. nuclear weapons stockpile by replacing older warheads with modern designs.
The White House announced a $20 billion funding plan to modernise the U: nuclear arsenal to include upgrading and replacing existing warheads with newer ones.
It is expected that the program will require $200 million to $250 million in funding each year.
The new program is expected take place under the auspices of the Office of the Secretary of Energy (OSTE), which oversees the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), the agency responsible for the nation’s nuclear weapons arsenal.
It was established under the Nuclear Posture Review Act of 2006.
The NNSA was established in 1988, but has had a much lower profile than it does today, having only been involved in nuclear disarmament negotiations with the Clinton administration.
The Trump White House has said it is in the process of replacing its NNSA with a more capable, more modern agency.
The Trump administration has also said it plans to use the funds for weapons modernization efforts, which will be more aggressive than previous administrations.
Trump will make his first visit to the NNSA this week, when he will be joined by other senior officials from the administration.
The program is being funded with $2.2 billion from the Overseas Contingency Operations (OCO) budget, which was approved in the fiscal year that ends March 31, 2018.
The first phase of the modernization effort will cost $1.8 billion, which includes $350 million in additional funding for nuclear weapon systems upgrades.
The second phase of modernization will cost about $500 million, according to the White House.
The OCO budget includes a $300 million lump sum for the first phase, and a $200-million supplemental budget for the second phase.
That supplemental funding would be applied to the costs of the next phases of modernization.
The White House said the supplemental budget would also provide funds for nuclear weapons systems upgrades in addition to the funding that would be provided by the first round of modernization funds.
The Office of Security Cooperation with Russia has also been a source of contention in recent years.
Last month, the White Senate said that the Office had been involved with the 2016 hack of the Russian government’s government.
The hack was attributed to the hacking group, APT28.
The U.K. government has long called for an independent investigation into the Russian hacking.